Barton Gold Project (100% Azure)
The Barton Gold Project lies adjacent to the historical gold mining town of Kookynie approximately 40km south of Leonora in the Eastern Goldfields region of Western Australia. It covers approximately 200km2 of the Kookynie Gold District and adjoins several growing gold deposits / projects, including:
- Genesis Minerals’ Ulysses Gold Project (1,281,000oz);
- Saturn Minerals’ Apollo Hill Gold Project (781,000oz); and
- Metalicity’s recent high-grade Kookynie gold discoveries.
Since the 1890s, the Kookynie-Orient Well-Ulysses district has produced more than 1.1Moz of gold from open pit and underground mining of high-grade, quartz vein gold deposits and currently hosts additional gold resources of more than 1.2Moz. Historically the larger mines in the district were:
- Kookynie (combined): ~366,000oz Au; located 4km south of Azure’s Barton Project
- Puzzle: ~100,000oz Au; located 1.3km south of Barton
- Orient Well: ~220,000oz Au; located 4km west of Barton
- Admiral / Butterfly: ~320,000oz Au; located 10km west of Barton
- Ulysses: ~50,000oz Au; located 15km west of Barton.
Most historical exploration in the Kookynie district focused on areas of outcrop and shallow soil-covered terrain. Due to extensive soil cover, most soil sampling and drilling previously undertaken within the Barton project area was ineffective in testing for bedrock-hosted gold mineralisation.
The only drilling that penetrated into bedrock was in the southwest at the Daisy Corner prospect within the Kookynie-Orient Well-Ulysses shear corridor between the Orient Well and Puzzle gold deposits. In 1995-1997, RAB and RC drilling returned best results of (refer ASX: 4 September 2020):
- 7m @ 1.26g/t Au from 42m within 18m @ 0.77g/t Au;
- 40m @ 0.2g/t Au from 20m; and
- 8m @ 0.53g/t Au from 48m.
Azure is planning follow-up aircore and Reverse Circulation drilling to test for bedrock-hosted gold mineralisation at Daisy Corner and other prospective structural settings associated with major cross-cutting shears and fault zones.