Barton Gold Project (100% Azure)
The Barton Gold Project lies adjacent to the historical gold mining town of Kookynie approximately 40km south of Leonora in the Eastern Goldfields region of Western Australia. It covers approximately 200km2 of the Kookynie Gold District and adjoins several growing gold deposits / projects, including:
- Genesis Minerals Ltds (ASX: GMD): Ulysses Gold Project (1,608,000oz);
- Saturn Minerals Ltd (ASX: STN): Apollo Hill Gold Project (944,000oz); and
- Recent high-grade gold discoveries at Kookynie by several companies.
Since the 1890s, the Kookynie-Orient Well-Ulysses district has produced more than 1.1Moz of gold from open pit and underground mining of high-grade, quartz vein gold deposits and currently hosts additional gold resources of >3Moz.
Historically the larger mines in the district were:
- Kookynie (combined): ~366,000oz Au; located 4km south of Azure’s Barton Project
- Puzzle: ~100,000oz Au; located 1.3km south of Barton
- Orient Well: ~220,000oz Au; located 4km west of Barton
- Admiral / Butterfly: ~320,000oz Au; located 10km west of Barton
- Ulysses: ~50,000oz Au; located 15km west of Barton.
Most historical exploration in the Kookynie district focused on areas of outcrop and shallow soil-covered terrain. Due to extensive soil cover within the Barton project area, all soil sampling and shallow drilling previously undertaken was ineffective in testing for bedrock-hosted gold mineralisation.
The only deeper drilling that penetrated into bedrock was in the southwest at the Daisy Corner prospect within the Kookynie-Orient Well-Ulysses shear corridor between the Orient Well and Puzzle gold deposits. In 1995-1997, RAB and RC drilling returned best results (refer ASX: 4 September 2020) of:
- 7m @ 1.26g/t Au from 42m within 18m @ 0.77g/t Au;
- 40m @ 0.2g/t Au from 20m; and
- 8m @ 0.53g/t Au from 48m.
Azure is planning drilling to test for bedrock-hosted gold mineralisation at Daisy Corner and several other prospective structural settings associated with major cross-cutting shears and fault zones. In particular, the Company will focus on areas interpreted to be extensions of gold mineralised zones recently drilled by other companies actively exploring nearby.